The lowest point

On Friday, January 20, I was sitting in front of a computer in an internet place on the main street in Melaqui, Mexico, trying to fix a huge mistake someone made under my by-line on the Entertainment Page. Suddenly my mother came running in looking all flustered.

"The girls had a problem over at the water park," she said breathlessly. "Dana's been hurt, I think it's bad."

I saved what I was doing and exited the programs I was using as she told me where the truck was parked. Mom ran back to the truck and started it as I paid for my internet time.

As I came out of the shop into the bright sunlight it took a second for my eyes to adjust and much longer for my heart to get back down where it belongs when I saw Dana.

My child's face was ashen, even through her deep-fun-on-the-beach tan. She was shaking and barely responded as I got into the truck and asked her how she was. Her head was down and she was hunched over like someone punched her in the stomach.

"It hurts mommy," she said. "It hurts a lot."

I choked back my own tears as I we circled the block to head for the clinic and I reassured Dana that it wasn't very far to the doctor's office and that they would make it all better soon.

Nova was visibly upset but doing a marvelous job of controlling herself.

As we drove the few cobblestone, gut-wrenching blocks to the clinic my mom explained what had happened.

"Nova was at the top of one of the small slides in the waterpark and Dana was at the bottom," my mom said. "Nova slipped and fell right on Dana's shoulder. I could see from the way Dana got up that she was hurt but she tried to say she was okay. I think her collar bone may be broken."

The beginnings of hysterical wails erupted from both girls in the back seat. I turned and reassured them that it was a common and easily treated injury that would be all better very soon even though it hurt a lot right now. Meanwhile inside I was picking up the hysterical wail and carrying it along.

I wondered what sort of reception we would get at the clinic. Would there be anyone who spoke English? Would there be a doctor there? How long would we have to wait? How much would it cost? Would Dana be all right to travel home on the 25th? Would she get good enough care to prevent long-term damage or much pain.


Damn, I have to go to work. Some idiots are having a biathalon in a blizzard and some other jerk is playing a gig at the library that I have to cover. More later, I promise.
Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.