Mowing the lawn - a metaphor for life

Here I am trying to do something good and what happens, I dig myself a series of holes. Of course it would have helped if I weren't so passive about the settings on my mower.

Ami discovered a new depth for lawn mowers. We shall call it 'dig'. Apparently she thought she was raising it and was actually lowering the body of the mower.

I, being the trusting should that I am, thought there must be something wrong with me because no one else but I could possibly screw something up that badly. So I huffed and heaved the thing around the lawn, which is now bald, for about three hours until it was too dark to see the furrows I dug with Ami's dad's mower.

Let me say the guilt I feel is great. I feel guilty for seriously dulling the blades on an innocent mower, doing irreparable damage to a beginning friendship with owner of the mower, not to mention the damage to my struggling field of wild flowers, well the guilt is overwhelming.

Yes, mowing the lawn is a metaphor for life.

And today, the dandelions are back, standing tall and proud above the brown furrows that used to be my lawn, my body hurts everywhere and I have to find the energy to work.

Perhaps brewing coffee will be a better metaphor for life. Or maybe a school being torn down... that's what the pictures are from. No, they have nothing to do with the blog, I just thought they looked nifty.

Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.