Tony missed his calling

Today a few of us media peeps headed up to the hills around Gros Cap for a look at some important guys looking at some important stuff.

As usual, it was me and some guys hanging out. It was cool. Tony Tagliabracci from Shaw (who should have been a comedian) was very funny and cracked us up while we waited for Minister of Natural Resources David Ramsay to arrive with Sault MPP David Orazietti, Algoma Manitoulin MPP Mike Brown, as well as Brookfield Power's General Manager Jim Deluzio and VP of Ontario Operations Andy McPhee. They were coming up to take a tour of the Prince Wind Farm and see how things are shaping up on the hills.

Shaping up they are, all right. Deluzio says that they will have 128 wind turbines up and generating enough electricity to power at least 40,000 homes - more than there are in the Sault. Very cool.

Minister Ramsay also said that this farm and others like it will let Ontario soon shut down all it's coal fired generating stations because there is no way to cleanly generate electricity from burnt coal. I'm not holding my breath, though. Show me, don't tell me! Or, at the very least, tell me when and how.

It was very interesting at the wind farm, though, and I hope to get back there for more pictures soon. I may even be able to wrangle my way up into a wind turbine. Bill (on the left) says it takes about 20 minutes to walk up even if you are in good shape and used to it. He says there are the equivalent to at least six flights of stairs to climb. It would be worth it to shoot some footage and stills of Lake Superior, the Sault and the surrounding hills from that height without the noise and motion of a helicopter. A once in a lifetime opportunity! Maybe one Tourism Sault Ste. Marie should be looking at... hmmm, I wonder if I can find John Febbraro's card?

BTW, it looks like Christine is still here. Alex is smiling like I've never seen him smile before! LOL
Going up into one of those things sounds like a very sweet deal. You'd think, though, that with all that electricity they generate, they could at least afford to put in elevators. *grin*
I agree - that could be a tourist attraction. Let's talk to somebody, Shria, and pitch the idea.
Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.