Today I sharpened my own knives.

Then took a nice bike ride for almost an hour. A good ride – nine or 10 km. Okay, not that good, but my bike sucks and in mid-March I had a couple ligaments re-attached in my ankle, so good enough.

My kids and they’re really cool and I couldn’t love them more. My parents and my dog are great, too. My job is pretty good and keeps me busy enough most of the time.

There isn’t really time for friends, so I hardly ever miss having close ones. Besides, my blog never talks back, interrupts me or tells me what to do. It won’t even try to date any of my ex’s or mess around on its wife with me.

So what if I’m single? I’m still part of a family.

But that isn’t good enough for some people. I’m tired of couplecentricity. You know, that thing where all your friends who are in or get into relationships ditch you because you are single.

“I’d love to invite her but you know its going to be all couples,” they say. “What will she do? She’ll feel all left out.”

Left out! More like lucky to have escaped. Besides, who made it a rule that a single woman at a social event can’t talk to men who are ‘involved’. Couple people talk to each other, why can’t they talk to single people.

Oh yeah, I forgot the whole desperately divorced thing. Apparently I’m supposed to be a constantly prowling cougar, ready to pounce on any vulnerable man at the first opportunity. I am supposed to be so desperate to find a man that loyalty to friends and respect for peoples’ values are tossed aside in the heat of the hunt.

And I need a man for what!?

Okay, I know what I’d like a man for, and know it isn’t really about sex. It would be nice to be admired, to be caressed, to have someone to rely on. Mostly nice I suppose, but something I can live without. Live well without – well enough most of the time.

§
Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.