Echo and Narcissus

This nymph, Echo, saw Narcissus, a beautiful youth, as he pursued the chase upon the mountains. She loved him and followed his footsteps. Oh, how she longed to address him in the softest accents and win him to converse, but it was not in her power. She waited with impatience for him to speak first and had her answer ready.


One day the youth, being separated from his companions, shouted aloud, "Who's here?"
Echo replied, "Here."

Narcissus looked around, but seeing no one, called out, "Come."

Echo answered, "Come."

As no one came, Narcissus called again, "Why do you shun me?" Echo asked the same question in return.

"Let us join one another," said the youth. The maid answered with all her heart in the same words, and hastened to the spot, ready to throw her arms about his neck. He started back, exclaiming, "Hands off! I would rather die than you should have me!"

"Have me," said she, but it was all in vain. He left her, and she went to hide her embarrassment in the recesses of the woods.

From that time forth she lived in caves and among mountain cliffs. Her form faded with grief, until at last all her flesh shrank away. Her bones were changed into rocks, and there was nothing left of her but her voice. With that she is still ready to reply to anyone who calls to her and keeps up her old habit of having the last word.


Bereft of me

I do decay
I am, indeed dead
Declaration of motivation gone
Exsanguination complete
Dry desiccated corps
Fertility flown
No more crops to be grown
Shrunken heart, dehydrated liver
Withered wishes wander aimlessly

When will this foul and putrid body
Catch up with the fearful soul fled

No touchie
No tell
No tingling desires dwell

Frozen smile bereft of me
I’ll get by myself, you’ll see
Waiting for hungry eyes to close
Waiting for gnawing pit to quiet

The body is the enemy, the prison
Death done at long last, the only saving grace

Waiting
Waiting with baited breath
Waiting for it to be where he should have been
At my side
All over me
Inside me
Filling up the emptiness
Finding me hiding in the hollow spaces
Watching me flourish
Food on which to nourish
My desire
My desire
Me
Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.