Star Trek character

Your results:
You are An Expendable Character (Redshirt)

An Expendable Character (Redshirt)
100%
Mr. Sulu
100%
Deanna Troi
95%
Data
83%
Worf
80%
Geordi LaForge
70%
Spock
65%
Beverly Crusher
60%
James T. Kirk (Captain)
60%
Jean-Luc Picard
60%
Leonard McCoy (Bones)
60%
Will Riker
50%
Mr. Scott
35%
Uhura
30%
Chekov
30%
Since your accomplishments are seldom noticed,
and you are rarely thought of, you are expendable.
That doesn't mean your job isn't important but if you
were in Star Trek you would be killed off in the first
episode you appeared in.

Click here to take the "Which Star Trek character are you?" quiz...



This one turned out to be totally on the money. Right at this moment, Rodney Dangerfield's words 'No respect' ring so FREAKIN' true.

What does a person have to do to get some respect? Spend thousands of hours taking photos, doing interviews, writing stories, promoting the HELL out of people? Nope, not good enough.

Maybe stay up all night long editing videos then get up to go to look after kids, go to school and earn a living? Nope, that's not good enough, either.

How about pour out a heart full of compassion, support and thoughtfulness? Nope. That leads straight to doormat city.

How about starve to be thin and almost attractive enough to look at when you are spoken to? Nope. It's the look-over-the-shoulder-while-pretending-to-listen-and-bolt-at-the-first-opportunity treatment instead.

What would be a sign of respect? Uh, lets start with a simple, "Hello, it's a pleasure to see you here. Thanks for coming out to the show." And try saying it to the reporter, not just to the people she brought with her to hear what she STILL (maybe stupidly) thinks is good music.

But to be completely honest, of the dozen or so musicians regularly covered and promoted on SooToday.com there are three, sometimes four, who would ever be caught talking to this lowly red-shirt in public unless they had something for her to do. One of them is the consummate gentleman, another a gracious and supportive woman, the third a couple of dear friends. They have earned loyal support from this lowly red-shirt, not just for the good work they do, but for the kindness and grace they show while doing it.

The rest treat her like some sort of embarrassment. The creepy, fat, ugly, stupid groupie who has to inflict herself on them by coming to take pictures at every show.

Recognition and gratitude are not expected. Saying something like, "Hey the media is here, thanks for coming out media person" would be REALLY embarrassing.

Just simple courtesy would be fully appreciated. Maybe even almost as much courtesy and respect they show other photographers/reporters.

"Hello, this is the red-shirt in black and former doormat, signing off and saying, BITE ME."

Okay, vent done. We now return you to your regular programming and hopefully something much more interesting and clever will be found to blog about tomorrow.

Everyone who is not a local musician, or who is among the four or so who understand courtesy, sorry about that. We just had to clear the air so we can return to our usual smiling, supportive attendance at shows without throwing up on our shoes or something.

Yes, this would be a royal 'we'. It's just that this lowly red-shirt has difficulty speaking in the first person. It appears to have been beaten out of her by bad.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Mar 13, 07:20:00 a.m.  
Well, I think you are awesome and I can't believe people don't appreciate you. Their loss. I think you are great! I come here and read your blog and wish you and I were friends.

I think what you do for the music community is completely awesome and really, from an outsider's perspective, makes the Sault scene really seem cool.

I think you are great -- so you know, *YOU* have fans, of which I am one. So yeah -- I'll see you again someday and give you a great big hug. You rock!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Mar 13, 07:30:00 a.m.  
oh, and you are not creepy or ugly - goodness me, you are one of the most beautiful women - outside and in, that I have ever had the good fortune to meet.

Maybe people are just overwhelmed by the 'real' star entering the room - you!

If I lived there, I think you and I would be the best of friends - that's for sure. And I would kick all their asses for you. :-)

It really does bother me that you don't feel appreciated for all your hard work. Of anyone, you certainly deserve appreciation. So if no one else says it, *I* appreciate you and all the work you do. It is a real inspiration. :-)
Wow, thanks so much! Reading your posts this morning MADE my morning!

I thought that only about three people ever visit my blog and here I have a fan. Holy WOW!

Yeah, the music scene in the Sault is very cool. We are blessed with a lot of serious talent here and most of that rant was just silly... BUT, (you knew there would be a but, didn't you) a few of them are very rude.

I try not to take it personally and realize it should only be a job but it hurts a lot when they have a clear expectation that I will go above and beyond the job to do things for them but they can't even give me a friendly smile and hello in public.

And, if it weren't my job to cover Entertainment, I would have dropped them all together and walked away from the whole scene a while ago. Unfortunately, these guys who treat me like a piece of furniture are the leaders of the scene because they work hard and are good at what they do (other than media relations) so I still have to deal with them. Just not so much for a while.

Time to grow a thicker skin.
See, I'm not the only one (ok, Kyle and I aren't the only two...err, Dad and Kyle and I aren't the only three...) who think you rock the block. I know what it's like to feel like, no matter what you do, the people you want to be around don't feel the same. That "nobody likes me" feeling still creeps in a lot, even though I know I'm surrounded by people who care, and whom I care about.

Sometimes there's nothing to do but put on the "people who love me" armour and try to put on a happy face. It's funny -- eventually you notice what a good time you're having with the people who deserve your attention, in spite of the people you thought were important.

*hugs*

We'll be your "people who love me" armour any day.
(((((((Erishkegal)))))))))

So, how am I supposed to get any work done on my part of the ritual next week if I keep getting big tears of joy all over my glasses?

I love you guys too and really appreciate your coming out to support me.

It has often been difficult attending shows alone and spending break times staring at the ceiling but I like the music so I tolerate the isolation.

You, Kyle and the Bear make it that much more fun by sharing your awesome company and the great music, too.

Andréa, my Ami, is my inspiration to continue despite the lack of reciprocal support from so many of the musicians and their tight-knight little circle. Then again, her enthusiasm may burn me out by the end of the week.

And, last but not least... Ed Young is the most totally rockin', sweet, kind, friendly, professional, considerate musician to ever play a stage in the Sault.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Mar 13, 08:37:00 p.m.  
Gee, kind words from a beautiful woman! You really know how to make an old Bear's evening!

Seriously, Carol, if I can ever find that old button that says "I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going!" I'm buying it for you! You have a small but growing family of people who love you, and getting you back into my life after far too long was one of the best things about being a Warrior with you. This is not a come-on, just a sincere compliment from an old friend who hopes to be a better friend.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Mar 13, 08:42:00 p.m.  
Tried posting earlier but Blogger in general was hanging up for me at work.

Underappriation comes with the "computer worker" for me. Basically we're the guy who has the closet for the office who no one really cares to talk to until they have a problem. Then it's "why isn't it fixed now?" and then when you do fix it there's nothing from them.

It's also part of the job where you learn to slide the people who treat you like crap further down the "priority pole" and the peole who treat you kindly get the prompt efficient service.

Also you mentioned going to the shows alone to cover them and have your camera for pictures etc. Heck, before I got my camera I was going to shows alone and well sitting there. Alone and a purpose is a lot better (in a weird sort of away) then alone and creepy (like I was) but I guess I still do go alone and creepy but just with a camera which might be even more creepy. Time to start a news organization to decrease my creepy factor.
((((((((((Bear))))))))))

Bear hugs! Woo HOO
Hey Curt

I hear what you are saying. A few of my old faves have fallen down the priority pole a few notches recently.

Also, I was the alone and creepy one across the room from you for about two years before I got the job at SooToday.com.

Well, I did do the video stint as the Spotlight host for LTVnews for a short time as well, but mostly I became an audience. At times, the ONLY audience member.
I respect you, Wanda. Of course I'd prefer to see you more often so I can respect you to your face.

Apparently I've got 75% Deanna Troi in me... which I thought was really groovy until I read this:
"Since your accomplishments are seldom noticed, and you are rarely thought of, you are expendable."

Damn.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 10:54:00 a.m.  
last time i checked carol reporting entertainment was your job. you get paid to do it, so why should anyone have to thank you. IT'S YOUR JOB!!!! do you think we get thanked for doing our day jobs? no one ever asks you to come out to any of the shows to report and take pictures, you just show up...that's why musicians have friends...to take pictures and promote them. i think you have completely over stepped this time carol. if you think by you writing the crap on your blog is going to get you some respect you are sadly mistaken. if anything you just lost any friendships you think you may or may not have had. and another thing...all the ssm musicians were not even at truma on sunday so maybe you should be careful who you are shooting your mouth at. last time i checked the only people you ever talked about were 2 certian bands and people who i will not name...you know who they are. so if you want people you thank you maybe you should write about the other 100 or so musicians in ssm not just your 2 hero's. from now on stay home with your negative attitude, don't bother coming out, we don't need that kind of attitude in the music scene.
Oooo,struck a nerve did I? I wonder why?

First off, if you send me something saying when and where you are playing I will do my best to get it up and even try to come and cover it. Even after your abuse.

Secondly, I cover a lot of bands and events. Everything from Gates of Winter to Cliff and Ed, with Belsito, West, IT, and many others in there as well. I cover the ones I cover because they tell me what's going on. I'm not a mind reader.

Thirdly, I do NOT get paid to cover Entertainment. I work that page on my own time because I believe the Soo's talent is worth promoting.

Fourthly, I know I have no friends to lose in the music scene so no biggie there.

Fifthly, BITE ME!

Ass.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 11:28:00 a.m.  
fyi carol - i'm not a musician or in a band...just a music fan who attends shows and sees you around. i usually even read your articles, but now i am sorry to say that you have really crossed the line with the musicians which in turn makes the regular readers upset. not cool. even if i had a band i would not call you to promote us....you would want somthing in return which i am not willing to give. i'm married! got it!!
Married or not, you can still bite me.

Actually, what I meant to say was, what does marital status have to do with anything? There's nothing I want from anyone that would make marital status an issue.

All I ever asked for was a simple 'Hey howz it goin'when I bump into someone I just finished a story about. Sending me a line or two to say when a band is playing would also go a long way to getting an advancer for them. A picture would almost guarantee it.

As for crossing lines, maybe, but maybe it is about time to cross them. I'm tired of talking to the back of people's heads. I would also like to know why they treated me like that.

But, it's all moot now. I plan to go to shows long enough to get what I need when I have to and leave. It just isn't worth the hassle of finding and paying a sitter, putting gas in my car and taking the time to go be ignored. No matter how much I STILL like the music.

I'll just do advancers for people who bother to send stuff and buy CDs when they come out.

You should see my collection, by the way. I paid for all of them, too. I have enjoyed supporting local music and still believe it's good thing to listen to. Just not a good thing for me to try to be involved in.

But I do need to amend what I said earlier about friends. I did make a couple friends in the local music scene and am glad for that.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 07:06:00 p.m.  
i also took the star trek quiz and came out the other end a "red shirt" but it did not inspire an hateful blog rage...WOW!...either you are so completely and utterly self absorbed that you do not understand these shows are NOT ABOUT YOU!!! or you have some serious esteem issues. either way, your attack is uncalled for and extremely childish. i try to catch as much live music as i can but i don't go home and cry into my pillow, or verbally attack people if my support goes unnoticed. if you choose to do these things for people you feel are not worthy, then it's your own damn fault. every single person on this blue marble feels unappreciated for their work...grow up, suck it up and get some therapy...
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 07:24:00 p.m.  
Hmmph! I certainly know what it's like to do nice things for people endlessly, because you want to help people out. And you don't want to complain to anyone, because you sincerely want to help. And you care about people and really like them and want them to do well.

And you keep telling people, 'oh, don't worry about it, no problem' because it really isn't. And people start out saying 'thanks! wow! awesome!' - and you feel like, hey - that's great - I helped someone. But you don't really want to be on a pedestal either. You just like to feel like you are making inroads in the work you are doing.

Then little by little, because you are someone who likes to help and always offers and goes out of your way to, people start to see you that way and start forgetting to say thanks, assuming that you know it already.

And you do, and it's ok for a while, because you're not doing it to be put up on a pedestal.

But after a while, you start feeling like maybe some people don't like you or want you there, or maybe like they don't really care about you. And you try not to let it bother you. And you never asked for a big return, so what can you do about it, really?

Then one day, all the little hurts add up and you just start to get upset and feel hurt that no one seems to care about you. And because you still don't want to let anyone down, all you can do is go to your blog and tell the world - 'hey, I need attention too - I'm tired of being treated like crap'

and hope that some kind soul will read it and care before you go back to being the kind, helpful person you were before.

Yeah, it's like, if someone's an ass to start with - people excuse it - and they get applauded when they are nice every once in a while. When you are super nice and giving to start off with and have a bad day or make a mistake - fuck, it's the end of the bloody world and you are the worst in the world.

What people don't realize about people like us, is that we have an enormous capacity to help others. What we want is to feel that it is making a difference. And that we matter. We don't need a big gift or to be put on pedestals, we would feel uncomfortable with that anyway. All we need is a hello, a thanks, a smile and maybe a hug here and there. It TAKES 10 SECONDS. So yeah, I don't see that as a big deal - but I guess some people think that's too hard to do.

So yeah, you wouldn't have ended up feeling like such crap if you didn't hang out with those people. So maybe it's time to just leave them all be and let them miss you.

In fact, why not just send an e-mail out to all the SSM bands and say to send you their press releases if they want posted on Sootoday - and just leave it up to them. There are a lot of entertainment events in SSM aside from music.

Most people, in most places, suck up to the media. What a lucky bunch of people there are in the Soo. To have someone who makes it so easy for them.

And you aren't the first person I've heard of from out there, who helps other people, and feels underappreciated. So maybe people should look around at the people, their friends, their fans, the people who are their support team -- and just say thanks. You might have said it already, but hey, people might like to hear it again. Yeah, it's THAT FUCKING SIMPLE!

And yeah, what does marital status have to do with anything. You aren't trading sexual favours to get people's info online. Everyone who reads your blog or knows you, knows there is only one person in your life that you love. So what if he's unavailable and taken and etc. etc. It's not a crime to love someone at all -- and if he's in any way lovable, there's probably a lot more people who love him too and are quiet about it.

In fact, many of us have very secret lives that we would not like everyone to know about -- and are not as honest and true to ourselves as you have been. Admitting it and trying to move on. It's tough.

I think many people have people they love that they can never be with for one reason or another. Or have had that at some point in their lives. It's hard.

So yeah, I think people really need to give you a break.

And yeah, it is obvious people DO NOT KNOW what a big job it is to go and do what you do. That you work long hours and do work for free and spend your own time and money to get out there to help people out.

I know - I have heard about all the nights you have been up all night trying to get articles done so they can be up on Sootoday in the morning. I have heard lots of great things about you, Carol - and I have met you and know what a kind, thoughtful person you are.

Take care of yourself - and don't worry about the backlash -- just keep to the same message. You deserve a thank you and you deserve a hello - just like every fan who comes to a show and spends their precious time out of their precious life and whatever shit day they might or might not have had, to come out to see you play. Hey, musicians - it's not all about YOU wanking off and enjoying yourself on stage -- it's also about the audience too.

And when you have media and other industry support who help connect you with the people who love your music -- well, they deserve to be thanked EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SEE THEM.

In fact, the bar/club owners should be thanked, the sound people, the bar staff - anyone who helps with your show in any way - should be thanked EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SEE THEM. WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

There, that's my rant. If I were there, I wouldn't put up with the gossiping shit because I don't give a rat damn if everyone hates me. I would go around and thank all those people in that city because I think they are all awesome. You musician folk there are SOOOOO lucky and you don't even know it.

Anyway, I'm sure you can figure out the parts directed at you, Carol and the parts directed at the other anonymous personage who obviously doesn't know anything about anything. And any other musician that comes here and reads it and gets all knocked out of joint! You should be knocked out of joint, I say!!!!! You would not have a career without fans and industry folk and people who help you. Sorry, that's the facts, jack.

And yeah, it's not every musician - I know a few out there myself, who really do care about other people and who are gracious. So I'm sure there are lots who are kind, thoughtful and gracious and who will read this and recognize it for what it is, a person who just needed to clear the air inside herself from feeling lousy. And those musicians WILL pay more attention to you because they know it matters to you and because they appreciate your help. THOSE folk won't misunderstand and get all bent out of shape, they'll be glad to know what they can do to make you feel happier. I mean, that's how I take it. If I were there, I would see you and say - here is a sensitive soul who just wants to feel included when I see her at shows - and so I would make sure to say hello and that I'm glad to see you and give you a hug. Not because I'm sucking up to get in the news - but because I really appreciate you as a person, coming to see me do my show. And yeah, none of us are perfect and yeah, it's important to hear that we might be letting one of our friends down sometimes.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 07:28:00 p.m.  
It's obvious that you can't see yourself for what you really are. You should be ashamed.
Wow... really long anonymous poster: THANK YOU!

That's what I meant to say. And where did you hide the camera in my house? Just don't tell anyone about my secret obsession with LEXX! LOL

Honestly, I'm getting my ass flamed because I whined about not being treated with the same courtesy as any other fan.

"You deserve a hello - just like every fan who comes to a show and spends their precious time out of their precious life and whatever shit day they might or might not have had, to come out to see you play."

That about gets to my point perfectly! Thank you again. I am fortified to handle more flaming.

Bring it on folks...
I should be ashamed of myself? For what? Do enlighten me.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 08:35:00 p.m.  
And just to add - whoever reads your blog and misconstrues it as a rage, must have some serious issues. There is a real difference between a 'annoyed rant' and a RAGE!

DUH

I would have felt the same way myself, after taking that quiz - and thought about all the things I did and felt underappreciated for. And I would have wanted to post it on my blog too. But I probably wouldn't have because I'd be afraid people would say mean things to me and actually prove to me that they don't really listen or care. I don't have big balls that way.

But I won't stand idly by and let a good person be brought down because other people don't think it's right for you to get annoyed and let off some steam ONCE! ONCE for goodness sake.

You know what people? People who don't let off steam get depressed and go kill themselves because they don't think people give a shit.

Wouldn't you all like it to know that someone does appreciate you? That someone will stand up for you, forgive you, give you a break, appreciate that you are human and imperfect, that yeah, you might be having a bad day?

And I'm sure someone does! We should all be telling each other how much we appreciate each other all the time, because life is short. We don't have to hear it from our boss or the people we work for, though that would be nice - sometimes it is just enough to have someone else see the work you do and tell you what a great job they think you do. Just to feel seen in this world makes a difference. And you know what, you don't have to just wait around for people to tell you that stuff. You can go out and do it yourself! That's right! When is the last time you told someone else you really appreciated them? We should all be telling each other that every day - that we matter to each other. Because our lives are precious and could be gone in a moment.

So you had your chance to react with kindness and make a positive difference in dealing with what Carol said about how she felt. You talk about how you also feel underappreciated, but you're ok with that for yourself. Your view seems to be 'Shut up and don't bother anyone with it, get therapy -- KEEP IT A SECRET, don't bother anyone else - we ALL are underappreciated, etc. etc. etc.' Instead of thinking, hey this person is upset and probably needs to hear something positive, you heap on negativity and judgment. Even if you think it was 'out of line' for her to complain - ANONYMOUSLY, I might add - online about the music scene - it's not like she named names -- hey, so and so is a big tooty frooty assoholic - no, she did not say that. So if people see themselves in what she said, that's their own guilty conscience.

Anyway, if YOU don't like being underappreciated, why didn't you take the opportunity to STAND UP and say YEAH, Carol - that sucks, I hate feeling that way too. And if you wanted, and thought so, you could added in a kindly way that it might not have been nice or wise to post it on her blog, because obviously more people than she thinks, read it. ;-) Or kindly point out that you disagree with her and point out some constructive ways of how she could change things for the better. Why didn't *you* take the opportunity to change things for the better? Instead you just make things worse for Carol.

Anyway, all of us should be able to just say - hey folks, this sucks, I want to help you but you are being an ass to me. And if people care back, they say - oh shit, sorry I'm being an ass - or here's why you might think that, but it's not true, etc,etc. And if they don't care, well, then we'll know to steer clear of them and not let them take advantage of us anymore.

What is the kindest thing to do? Do that.

Anyway, I do feel for the rest of you and hope that when you get to the breaking point of feeling unappreciated, when you crack and just finally say - fuck it, this sucks - and react in a way that isn't maybe the best -- that someone gives you a break. That someone says, hey - I know you mean well, you're having a tough day or time of it - and even though I don't agree with what you did, I understand where you are coming from. Or that I will try harder so you feel appreciated because I see now that it matters to you.

It seems so strange to me how it bugs you so much that someone doesn't seem to like putting themselves out endlessly without a thank you and said they were annoyed about it, and that you would choose to lash out about it.

With that way of thinking, I guess we should just be doing things without a thanks all the time, once we start on that path - I guess we are just screwed then.

That sucks.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Mar 14, 09:07:00 p.m.  
About the only thing you should be ashamed of, Carol, is engaging in debate with a puerile flamer who hasn't even got enough guts to make himself known to you by adopting a name you'd recognize.

In case nobody else noticed, your blog is your space, where you are free to vent without censorship about whatever engages your thoughts. It's a diary that you have consented to make open to others. We who comment may express how we feel about what you've said. We may even take issue with it. We are not allowed, in the name of common courtesy, to insult you and to denigrate your feelings.

By the way, for the benefit of those who don't know me, I am a sometime performer and I work with the public in my day job, so I am used to being thanked for my efforts. A wise man once said that someone who isn't nice to the servers isn't a nice person. Mr. Anonymous should work on his manners online and off, with waiters, reporters and co-workers; he might find his emotional life improves.
I was up til 3 am this morning trying to come up with the perfect sentence to pound Mr. No-Guts-to-Give-a-Name into dust, but Bear said it all, anyway. The gall it takes to RANT BACK at a blogger in her own space is just unbelievable. It just floors me, and I'm still shaking my head.
Thank you Les, and Bear, and my anonymous defender(s). I very much appreciate your support.

Though I asked for something simple, reactions were surprisingly intense and complex.

Nerves were struck, and after much thought, conclusions have been made. It is certain others are coming to their own conclusions as well, but none are likely to return here to share them.

Some seem to have thought I had other motives to be at shows than enjoying music. Too bad those people didn't believe in their music as much as they believed in their attractiveness. I was there for the music but would have enjoyed a little friendly conversation as an added bonus.

Also, I believe some were jealous that I covered some bands and not others. They seem to have felt and resented exclusion. Even now, if anyone is doing something and sends it to me I will do my best to get it on the page.

So, here's what I'm going to do about it.

Since I won't be going to shows every available weekend, I'll be hanging out with Bear, Erishkegal, Les and Canadian Mark more.

I'll also be searching the web for entertainment stories to promote, focusing more on theatre and trying to get information from venues like Foggy's, the Canadian and the Downbeat (and any others who host bands and will tell me who is there) as well as from Steve at Loplops.

Steve, by the way, has also been a staying force in this. If Steve, Bob, Jen and everyone at Loplop hadn't made me feel so welcome there, I would have stopped going to shows long ago.

And that, as they say, is that. All done.

Unfortunately, dear understanding long poster, very few of the musicians will miss me at all.

I went because I like the music. The live experience is very different from the CDs and much of the music heard at shows is not on CDs or websites. I'll miss that. Oh well.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Mar 15, 05:42:00 p.m.  
Carol,

hope you don't mind a little input, & hopefully some advice. i've been involved with the music scene for a very long time & i have had the chance to work with some of the best local artists in ssm as well as some of the biggest names in canada & the u.s.a. i have also invested a crap load of time & money in the music industry....let me get to the point...the better i get at my job...the less recognition i get. it used to bother me a little bit. but now i don't mind at all, because one day i asked myself "why"?
this is what came to me....i do what i do because i love the music industry for better or worse. i go to the gig to accomplish my task to the best of my ability. my goal is to go home at the end of the engagement with a feeling of pride. (whether or not i'm noticed or not, or for that matter
thanked for my work that night or the next day).

i probably treat the industry as a little bit more of a business than you do. but take it from a guy with a lot more invested. if you are having trouble dealing with the local scene at the level you are "playing" at, you might want to take a little break from it & seriously think about if it's for you or not. because like i said earlier if you stick with it & get better at your trade (or hobbie)...you will get less respect the further you go.

you "in" or "out"

if you're "in"....do it for you.

if you're "out"....get out.

i hope this helps. have a good day.
Well it helps as advice to use for my future dealings with the business. That is what any dealings I have with it will be. Purely business.

Kind of sad, though, since I used to do it for the love of it.

There is a difference between you and I, though.

You are 'in' the business. I never was. As both audience and reporter, I was never more than an observer, which can be in itself an isolating experience.

But there is certainly a parallel that I can learn from.

Where you take pride in a gig well done, I can take pride in a shoot well shot or a story well written and that can be deeply satisfying. It's very cool to see some good shots come out of my camera at the end of a night, even if no one else says they appreciate them. And I'm sure that a few people are taking it in and appreciating it quietly, anyway.

Yes, doing it for myself is paramount. But, I think you miss my primary point. I am not looking for a parade. I just asked for the same courtesy as any other reporter or audience member. That hasn't come from people I've worked very hard for and that hurts.

In or out? Maybe I'll try sitting on the fence for a little while and see if that becomes more of a pain in the ass than being a piece of furniture in an empty room while a fantastic musician or three gig their hearts out in a paid practice.

Actually, I don't think I can ever be 'in', just maybe a closer or more distant observer.

Right now, distance is good.
Well fought battle here...seems like I missed all the fun. Props to you on holding your ground - after all it's your ground to hold. Hoo-ah.

In an unrelated matter, I've had you in mind as a Premium Canadian Blogger candidate for some time now. I'm thinking this coming weekend. What say ye?
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Mar 16, 02:02:00 a.m.  
Well, that was a nice post - someone with something kindly and helpful to say. Yeah, it's true that the music industry can be a rough ride for artists - but it's worth it to hang on, because of the music and because you love it - and it's something in yourself you must do. And yeah, it is a sacrifice, so you must be fully committed to your work.

In Carol's case though, it sounds like she wants to help in her own small way - and just feel like people she works with care that she cares. We're not talking strangers here, but people she has continually helped out who know her as a person. If they do not like her and don't want her around, then they should not accept help from her in the first place, if they can't be polite about it.

Anyway, regardless of anything else, just be treated right by people she thought were her friends, or people she has openly supported in a substantial way. It doesn't mean she will get treated right, but there's nothing wrong in saying that it feels bad when she's not being treated right and that her feelings are really hurt.

That's too bad about the not getting respect part, for someone with your talent. I'm sure there are people who respect you, but may just not have spoken up - maybe they are in 'awe' of you. :-)

If someone has treated you rudely, it is probably good to address them directly and find out why. Sometimes it might simply be that they were in the middle of dealing with something else, and didn't mean to be rude at all. Life is full of little misunderstandings - and friends *do* care enough to make it up and understand one another better.

It's funny though, with some people you help out, they can be all nice and friendly, like they're your best friend - until you get upset about something they might have done to you - by their just being thoughtless, or you can't help them because you are spread too thin one time or something. Then they are gone, rather than sticking around to work it out. Then you find out that they never were a friend, at least not one who will stick around and care if you are hurt by their actions.

Well, Carol - I hope things work out and that people aren't mean to you anymore over this. You certainly don't deserve it, and I know from reading your blog that you have had some tough times lately, with your friend being sick and all. It must just be wearing you down. So I hope now that you know you have some friends out there in the world who think of you, care about you and who will stand by you.

And maybe have a section of blog that is private for your own fans - and we can all support you when you have a bad day, you can spout off there - and the lookieloos, gossip-mongers and naysayers can all stay away. Pah to them! :-) People have nothing to do but stir up trouble sometimes.

Harm none... be well. It will all work out.
Wow, anonymous-long-posting-defender, you are the coolest. I really appreciate your eloquent, sensitive and compassionate support! Thanks for ever so much. If you meet me again, please identify yourself so I can give you a hug.

Canadian Mark, I am very interested in the Premium Canadian Blogger idea. What do I have to do? I'd like to promote the great work Kyle has done for me on the skin.
Hey sweet thang! Since you're not online at the moment, I thought I'd leave you a completely off-topic message here. Can we get together sometime later today re. planning for tomorrow evening?

mmmwah!

PS: you rock the rockrock. So there.
Wow -- Crazy, Crazy, Trolls!

It's great to see that you have some good friends supporting you.

Hang tough.
Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.