Everything broke

The following is most of an actual email I sent my boss today and it is all true. It has been a day I am glad to see the end of. -- The picture is by Nova.


Hi Dave

Sorry I didn't get to the Goulais story today.


Dana wanted me to bake her a cake for her cast party today. I told her I would do it as soon as I did the vacuuming. The vacuum clogged and I had to take it apart before I could make my white fur area rug green again.

Then the mixer burnt out on the double cake batter batch. Damn that mocha chocolate cake recipe!


Then the toilet broke and I ran out of hot water because the washing machine timer broke and the washer kept emptying and refilling with warm water. When the water heated up enough for me to have a shower so I could go get the part for the toilet and a new mixer it was time to take Dana to her cast party... with no cake.


It was such a beautiful day that I turned right instead of left after dropping Dana off and ended up at Bellevue Park with Nova for a wonderful hour or so before heading off to WalMart for supplies. Nova was an awesome helper and I only came home with about an extra $50 worth of stuff I didn't intend to buy today but did need for the house. (Including a very sweet 18v cordless drill and nifty set of bits and drivers to go with it -- I am not even going to try them today, though)

When I returned home with the part, tools to repair the toilet and a new mixer, it was time to cook dinner. After dinner I fixed the toilet and tried to make the frosting for the cakes I had finished without a mixer.

The second mixer I bought had a great motor. It wrapped the blades around themselves so that one of them looked like a corkscrew in about 45 seconds. I would have taken a picture of it, but Ami had my camera because she wanted to cover a ballet (which she didn't get to cover but I'll let her tell you about that). Obviously, I still had the box and receipt. Back to WalMart I went.


Mixer number three of the day worked out really well and now my mocha chocolate scratch cakes have yummy pink peppermint butter-cream frosting on them.

My kitchen is a mess because I said 'screw this' then watched Harry Potter and ate cake with Dana after Nova went to bed.


So, now I'm emailing you (as per your request) to remind you of tomorrow's telethon. The clocks change forward an hour tonight. We are supposed to be at Council Chambers by 10:15 a.m. tomorrow. We are on air between 11 and 12 a.m. to answer phones. I can pick you up on the way by if you like.


I'll be up by 8:30 with the girls if you would like to give me a call about a ride.

Tomorrow is likely to be a better day than today! -- especially with that bounty I have on the gremlins in my house.


And that is only about half of the everyday adventures that occupied my day today.

It's a beautiful chaotic mass of organic nature and I revel in it.

*sputters* I thought I was the only one with luck like that!

If you should ever find the time, get in touch -- we miss you!
Oh yeah, and did I mention that the light bulb by the front door burnt out and the front door knob broke and my DVD player has decided not to play the beginning of any DVDs and...

I hope to touch base with you two later today. I have goodies for both of you.

§
Holy ol' shit, Wanda! Damn, but I'd like to read Dave's reply to this one...!

Do you know how lucky you are? Seriously, if I'd written an email like that to Louie, - scratch that. Louie never checks his email - If I'd called Louie with this kind of news, he would have hung up in disgust at about "Sorry I didn't get to the Goulais sto-"

BTW.... I GOT A WEEK OFF! I GOT A WEEK OFF! I GOT A WEEK OFF!
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Apr 02, 08:45:00 p.m.  
Holy cow, Carol! I got the Reader's Digest version this afternoon. Don't believe erishkegal about thinking she's the only one with rotten luck, though-- she knows me better than to say that.

I'll be here for a couple of hours hoping to talk to you and Ami about our project. If it's midnight when you read this, I'll be asleep. ;)
What a nasty ol' day. Could've been worse, though - everything could have gone boringly perfect.
Copyright © 2006 Carol Martin.
All Rights Reserved.